GLORY DAYS

GLORY DAYS
2004 Mainship 400 Trawler

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

CANADA ROCKS!

DAY 36 PETERBOROUGH, ONT.
We take a cab to the mall so Pat can get her hair done and Joe can return the “Rogers Rocket” he bought in Kingston to connect to the internet in CA. While waiting for Pat, I discover they do men’s hair so with the hair covering my ears, I decide to go for it. This salon is not my kind of place, but what the heck. All the hairdressers are these hot young girls and I’m a bit overwhelmed. So when this hot older woman comes out I’m sort of surprised. Well, I have to tell you she gave me the best haircut. She used only the scissors and razor, no electric clippers. It reminded me of the haircuts my father (a former barber as a teenager) used to give me as a kid. So much for nostalgia. While waiting for Pat to get done I wander over to the food court. As luck would have it you can buy POULTINE there. I had seen it on menus around town, but didn’t know what it was, so I asked for a sample. The basis for it is French Fries, sprinkled with cheese, or cheese curds, and then covered with brown beef gravy. You can then add scallions, sour cream, etc, but I had the basic version and it was delicious! We get back to the boat and surprise, surprise! The quiet little park we tied up to along the wall at lock 20 has been invaded by the local boy scout troop. So now we have about 15 tents pitched just outside our boat. Not what we expected, but no problem. They are all a bunch of well behaved kids having a little fun, but also very respectful of our space.

Later on we hear about the big “RIBFEST” and concert in Millennium Park. It’s a short (20min) walk from the boat, and Pat will enjoy not cooking, so expecting mediocre food and a lot of noise we decide to go. It turned out to be a blast! First the ribs were very good, the price was reasonable, and the music was very good. To add to the enjoyment we met two recently retired families, 2 sisters, their husbands, and one teenager. We all sat at the same table and before long we were like old friends talking about our countries, our travels, and families. There is also a concert going on at the marina tonight, and we can hear that from the boat. Apparently weekend concerts and rib fests are big doings around here, and like we did, everybody seems to have a great time.



CANADA BOY SCOUTS OUTING

PETERBORO RIB FEST




 


No comments:

Post a Comment